As summer approaches with it’s opportunities for picnics, camping, gardening and outdoor vacations, you’ll want to make sure you have natural summer solutions using essential oils on hand, to deal with whatever may come your way. Try one or all of these recipes.
Herbal Insect Repellent
2 1/2 teaspoons of any combination of the following essential oils:
1 cup 190-proof grain alcohol or favorite carrier oil.
Place ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously. Transfer to small bottles for storage. To use, rub a small amount on any exposed skin (test first to be sure your skin will not be adversely affected by the repellent) or dab it on clothing.
Experiment a little to find which essential oils work best with your body chemistry. If you’re lucky, you will also like the way they smell; otherwise, add a few drops of Peppermint oil to fine-tune the fragrance.
Lavender Essential Oils for Sunburn Treatment
Lavender is notoriously beneficial for any type of burn, including sunburns. It offers immediate relief and healing, and may accelerate the healing process.
Lavender Healing Oil Makes 4 ounces
Mix all ingredients in a bottle, and apply as needed. Use this oil after the sunburn has begun to heal, applying a carrier oil to a fresh burn may increase the heat and discomfort.
Lavender Sunburn Spray
Fill a spray mist bottle with lukewarm water or miracle II neutralizer and add lavender essential oil. Spray over the redness of sunburn areas, this will bring immediate sunburn relief and can be repeated as often as required, for an added cooling effect, try adding a few drops of peppermint essential oil, (product #30-55, member cost $9.60). May also be added to aloe vera gel and refrigerated for extra cooling.
Summer Body Mist
4 ounces water-based liquid such as green tea, rainwater or aloe juice
1 teaspoon plain vinegar or herb-infused vinegar (lavender, rose, peppermint, etc.)
28 drops lemon essential oil 6 drops eucalyptus essential oil,
6 drops lavender essential oil
4 drops grapefruit essential oil
2 drops geranium essential oil
Place vinegar in a spay-mister bottle. Add the essential oils and shake. Add water or other water-based product, cap and mist clothes and skin. Always shake well before use. Avoid eyes and sensitive areas.
This is an energizing body mist to help keep you cool.
Hope you enjoy these recipes, have a fun, safe, and bug/sunburn free summer!
Arthritis is a disease that causes pain and loss of movement of the joints. The word arthritis literally means joint inflammation (arth=joint, itis=inflammation), and refers to more than 100 different diseases.
One Highly Effective Arthritis Remedy:
Essential oils for labor can be just the ticket if you’re looking for safe, healthy options for a great labor. Not only can essential oils help relieve pain, but they can also help keep you relaxed and grounded to help your labor progress well. There are even essential oils that can help with stalled labor. Here are some great ways to use essential oils for labor. Read the rest of this entry
It is a well known fact that the rates of heart attacks and complications from heart attacks are far higher in women compared to men. Women, unaware they’re having a heart attack, often wait longer to call 911, and therefore have worse outcomes when they finally make it to the hospital. Pressure, tightness, and squeezing in the chest are all telltale signs of heart attack yet many women don’t know they could have a heart attack without having any of these symptoms. A woman having a heart attack might instead feel more subtle hints — like nausea, back and jaw pain, and shortness of breath — in addition to chest pain. These atypical symptoms make recognition tricky for patients and doctors alike. In any event, women need to take care of their heart and to guard against potential heart attacks ever occurring. Herbal supplements can help improve heart health and deter the onset of heart attacks. Read the rest of this entry
Be prepared for those emergencies-Here are some suggestions to put in your kit:
- Bio Reset(10-55): Indications for Use: For fast relief of fatigue, sleeplessness, irritability, nervous tension, spasmodic yawning, and drowsiness associated with travel, jet lag, shift changing, sleep pattern disturbances, overworking.
- Nausea & Motion Sickness(10-230 ): Indications for Use: For fast relief of nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness, loss of balance, aversion to food, headaches associated with car, sea, air, or general motion sickness.
- Neutralizer 72-7) Nutra-LizerTM helps to combat the effects of: Insect bites, spider bites and snake bites. This is not intended to replace physician care or medications for serious bites which could be life threatening.
- Tee Tree Oil(62-3 )- Mix 6-7 drops with Miracle II Neut. Spray 2 oz (15-19):Because Tee Tree is highly antiviral, it can kill almost any type of bacteria and is effective at preventing infections. Spray where germs and bacteria may be
- Headache Relief (10-165 ): Indications for Use: For fast relief of the following headaches: migraine, sick, throbbing, occipital, morning, sun.
- Indigestion Relief (:10-187 ) Indications for Use: For fast relief of gas, bloating, hiccups, belching, flatulence, intestinal distress, sleepiness following food or drink consumption.
- Skin Irritation & Itch Relief (10-282 ): Indications for Use: For relief of skin irritations and itching – irritated, red, burning, sensitive, dry rough, scaly, or chapped skin, rashes, hives, eczema, psoriasis, unhealthy, lusterless looking skin.
- Back, Neck, Muscle & Joint Injuries Relief (10-46 ): Indications for Use: For fast relief of common pain, stiffness, cramps, weakness associated with strains & sprains of the muscles and joints.
- Aloe Vera Liquid (:70-4) History records that it may have helped with the following conditions: abrasions, digestion issues, reducing body odor, sunburn, occasional heartburn, non-cystic acne, radiation burns, wrinkling of the skin, burns, insect bites, scalds, occasional constipation, and scar tissue.
- Lavender Essential Oil (30-37) Lavender is the oil most associated with helping with skin irritations because it stimulates the cells of the injured skin, insect bits and burns.
- Virgin Coconut Oil (92-5) Mixed with lavender essential oil it helps to relieve inflammation from bug bites and stings.
Making laundry soap is super easy, works great, and costs about $3.50 for a 5 gallon bucket almost full. Completely bio-degradable.
Things you’ll need:
1 5 gallon bucket
1 Bar of soap (I prefer Ivory)
1 cup Arm & Hammer Laundry Soda (not baking soda)
Adding an essential oil is an option if you would like a scent added to your laundry soap.
Pour 4 cups of water in a pot and add grated bar of soap (Ivory)
Add 3 gallons hot tap water in your 5 gal bucket
Add hot ivory mix stir for 1 minute, next add 1 cup of laundry soda stir for 1-2 minutes and add 1/2 cup borax stir 1-2 minutes. Add 20-30 drops of an essential oil (this step is optional).
Let sit overnite, will be jelled in the morning just dip it out, and you are ready for wash day! Great for front load washers as there is no suds!
Allergies are miserable, and millions of people suffer from them. Headaches, sore throats, coughing, watery eyes, stuffy noses, and sneezing are all common allergy symptoms, and using essential oils can help relieve the problem.
Here are some of the best essential oils uses for allergies.
Lavender is especially good at treating hay fever. Pure lavender oil is a natural antihistamine, and can relieve allergy symptoms in minutes. You can use it by applying one drop to your cheeks or forehead, as needed, or by putting 1 to 2 drops in your hand, rubbing your palms together, cupping them over your nose, and inhaling 4 to 6 times as needed.
Many people find that eucalyptus essential oil also relieves their allergies. There are a few types of eucalyptus. The best and safest one for allergies is Eucalyptus . It’s great for respiratory, sinus and viral infections. You can apply one drop of it to your forehead or cheeks, just like with lavender oil, or put one drop in your hand, cover your nose, and inhale. Don’t ingest eucalyptus oil, however, as it isn’t meant for consumption.
The essential oils uses for allergies are virtually endless, but these are the top two oils for treating your problems. Use them regularly, whenever you notice a problem, and you’ll soon find the relief you seek!
by Danielle DiStefano
I feel so fortunate to have had many opportunities to attend the numerous educational seminars New Sun has offered over the years. Of course, having my mom teaching classes for all of my life certainly made a difference too, and I wanted to share one of my favorite topics with you… Aromatherapy, which is the usage and inhalation of plant oils, called Essential Oils, for improved physical, mental and emotional well-being. True aromatherapy is the therapeutic use of aromatic substances and has been a time-honored health modality for thousands of years. Essential oils and their usages are mentioned over 200 times in the Bible and they were used historically for thousands of years by every civilization. Read the rest of this entry